Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

I received a request last year for a breakup mix(a more focused one since part of the "Lifespan of a Relationship" mix is a breakup). My knee-jerk reaction was to save it for Valentine's Day. I don't know what that says about me... There are different philosophies regarding breakup mixes. Do you go with sad bastard music about love lost or tongue-in-cheek songs about relationships? Do you want the album to have a bitter tone or a funny one? I ended up going with a bit of each. By the way, I have never been more frustrated by songs I have already included in previous mixes than when going through my iTunes to make this mix. I hope that everyone enjoys this but I hope especially that those of you with fresh dating wounds really connect with these songs. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Track 1 - "Our Perfect Disease" by The Wombats
The Wombats are one of my favorite discoveries of 2011 and this bitterness anthem had to start off the mix. "We all need someone to drive us mad".


Track 2 - "Song for the Dumped" by Ben Folds Five
This has been a staple on all breakup mixes I've made since about 2003. Everyone feels this way. You don't just want all the money and presents that you wasted on this person back, you also want the time and effort.


Track 3 - "Fuck You" by Cee Lo Green
Despite the over-saturation of this song it is a great one. Also if you are listening to "Forget You" you are doing it wrong. Living well is the best revenge but sometimes you need to advertise it.


Track 4 - "There's No Home for You Here" by The White Stripes
This song is so biting and well written. The next time I'm in a bad breakup I want Jack White to come over and express my displeasure.

Track 5 - "Bye Bye Bye" by 'N Sync
I had to...


Track 6 - "Love Lockdown(LMFAO Remix)" by Kanye West
Everyone hated Kanye's auto-tuned album "808's and Heartbreaks" but I kind of loved it. This remix by LMFAO takes the song to a whole new level by adding their own verse and tweaking the beats.


Track 7 - "Girls Ain't Nothing but Trouble" by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
Will Smith gave me all the knowledge I needed when I was in high school. I should've listened.


Track 8 - "Pussy Killz" by Nas
This is pretty much the NSFW version of the last song.

Track 9 - "Okay I Believe You, but My Tommy Gun Don't" by Brand New
One of my favorite songs from Brand New. "Every line is about who I don't want to write about anymore."

Track 10 - "Heartbeat" by Childish Gambino
For those of you who don't know, Childish Gambino is the hip-hop alter ego of Donald Glover(Troy from Community, writer for 30 Rock). He has gotten better and better and I love his newest album, "Camp". The last line of this song changes from performance to performance.


Track 11 - "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" by Stars
This song tells both perspectives of a chance meeting between two former lovers. It also features strings, so... yeah. Jeff trap.


Track 12 - "Happy Ending" by Mika
I feel like this is the only sad thing that's ever happened to Mika. He's just so chipper!


Track 13 - "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver
This song is about not wanting a love to end but being unable to stop its demise.


Track 14 - "A Lack of Color" by Death Cab For Cutie
Realized only too late that I have already used this song! Now that all the mixes are on this computer hopefully I will stop making dumb mistakes like that.


Track 15 - "IMpossible" by Figurine
Figurine is a music project started by James Tamborello(of The Postal Service).


Track 16 - "U R the One" by Mos Def
Who hurt you, Mos? I will mess them up! A fantastic song about feeling like a great potential was squandered.

Track 17 - "Devil Dressed in Blue" by Right Away, Great Captain
RAGC is the solo project of Andy Hull from Manchester Orchestra. Much like Coheed and Cambria, Hull tells an ongoing story with each album about a 17th century sailor.

Track 18 - "Miss Misery" by Elliott Smith
This was the song Elliott wrote for Good Will Hunting. He really smashed it out of the park.


Track 19 - "No Way" by The Naked and Famous
The way this song swells halfway through is amazing. Listen to this in your car as loud as your ears will allow. You will thank me.


As always hit me up for a copy and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. OOoh me me me! I wanna copy! This looks so excellent!
    -Sistress

    ReplyDelete
  2. camp is a great album. i liked watching him do it live better! never heard that ben holds five song. good mix!!
    -Ang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to see him live! I was sad I missed the IAmDonald tour. Thanks, Ang!

      Delete