Monday, January 2, 2012

One Hit Wonders!

Well there goes one New Year's Resolution: Be more punctual with blog entries.
This month we are taking a look at bands whose contribution to good music is less of a roaring fire and more of a molotov cocktail. I am at the age now where all the popular music from my high school years has been either canonized or proven a fluke so when my good friend Neal suggested that I make a mix of One-Hit-Wonders I gladly accepted the challenge. Here are some of my favorite songs from artists who, for one reason or another, couldn't put together a quality album.

Track 1 - "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5
I bet, even as a baby crying in his crib, little Michael was melting hearts and taking names. To be honest I also like "ABC" but the Jackson 5 really have nothing else on par with this song.


Track 2 - "Fat Lip" by Sum 41
I remember Sum 41 being insanely popular in high school but this is the only song they have that's worth a damn. (besides "Pieces" but that's not really a hit, just a sad ballad) Don't get me wrong I love me some pop-punk but Sum 41 never matched the energy or catchiness of this track.


Track 3 - "Bust a Move" by Young MC
I nearly jumped out of my seat with excitement when I saw not-so-Young MC's cameo in "Up In the Air". This song features Flea on bass!


Track 4 - "Dammit" by Blink 182
I might be alone on this one but I just hated all of Blink's songs from "Enema of the State" and onward. They might prove me wrong with their reformation but I sincerely doubt it.


Track 5 - "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies
One of the first concerts I ever went to (with my dad and sister) was BNL with Semisonic opening for them. I can't really remember but it must have been a short concert...

Track 6 - "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba
Remember when this song had receded from your memory and you could once again go a week without your subconscious going "I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN!" You're welcome!


Track 7 - "Inside Out" by Eve 6
I feel like deep down we're all born knowing the lyrics to this song. Other than their band name being a reference to the greatest show ever and this song they don't have anything really going for them.


Track 8 - "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus
Apparently this song was from the movie "Loser" which if you couldn't tell by the mere fact that Jason Biggs was in it was baaaaaad. This song became pretty popular though and when my friend Wesley suggested it be included I agreed.


Track 9 - "Whoomp!(There it is) by Tag Team
This song will forever be known as Ben Wyatt's swearing-in ceremony theme song. This was a suggestion by my sister, Rachael.


Track 10 - "In the Meantime" by Spacehog
I had completely forgotten about this song until it popped up in Rock Band. Rock Band is really the champion of all one-hit-wonders. Probably because the licenses are so cheap.


Track 11 - "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal
While this song is pretty awesome Seal's main achievement is locking down Heidi Klum. I guess I would slack off on my music career too if I had Heidi Klum to come home to for better or worse. The video for this song was apparently shot to be a promotional video for a Batman movie that never ended up getting made. I really want to put the version sung by Jeff Winger and Dean Pelton.


Track 12 - "No Rain" by Blind Melon
This one isn't really fair. Who knows how many other great songs Blind Melon would have made if their lead singer hadn't tragically died from an overdose.


Track 13 - "O-O-H Child" by The Five Stairsteps
I do so love the rhythm and blues.


Track 14 - "Good" by Better Than Ezra
This was another great suggestion by Wesley.


Track 15 - "Closing Time" by Semisonic
These songs really are fantastic songs by bands who just couldn't replicate the quality of these hits. I jam out to this one pretty regularly.


Track 16 - "Because I Got High" by Afroman
I really don't know where Afroman gets his weed, but it sounds potent as hell. This video is from when Kevin Smith was still funny.


Track 17 - "Baby I Love Your Way" by Peter Frampton
I couldn't agree more with Rob's sentiment in High Fidelity concerning this song. I used to hate it until I heard the Lisa Bonet version in the film which made me appreciate the original.


Track 18 - "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve
Strings!!! Need I say more?


Track 19 - "Just a Friend" by Biz Markie
This song's message is pretty simple. Girls can't be trusted to have male friends. Very enlightened, Biz.


Track 20 - "Boston" by Augustana
The piano in this song just gets me every time.


Happy New Year everyone! Make it count because the world's gonna end this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment