Saturday, March 31, 2012

April Showers

If you're like me then you never wash your car which makes this time of year very exciting. In all seriousness though I love the rain. I love people scampering to their cars. I love the rhythmic pitter-patter on my window as I am drifting off to sleep. I love the air after the rain. I hope you enjoy these rain-centric songs!

Track 1 - "Standing in the Rain" by Billy Talent
I would really like to see some new music from Billy Talent. Their existing three albums are so consistently excellent.

Track 2 - "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by The Rolling Stones
Some classic Stones for you.


Track 3 - "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead
I remember when I first heard this album it redefined what I thought music could be. I went through this musical awakening in high school where I learned that not all music was oldies and showtunes.


Track 4 - "The Youth" by MGMT
This album was one of the strongest debut albums I've ever heard.

Track 5 - "Rain" by Mika
I know I've said it before but I love that even Mika's sad songs are super chipper sounding.


Track 6 - "Title and Registration" by Death Cab For Cutie
I totally keep gloves in my glove compartment! Granted it is also a time capsule as I almost never go in there.


Track 7 - "Rain(feat. Scarface & Billy Cook)" by Chamillionaire
Chamillionaire gets pretty serious in this song about suicidal thoughts. Don't do it, people. Life is worth living.

Track 8 - "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
One of those songs that was just immediately on this playlist as soon as I thought of the theme.


Track 9 - "English Summer Rain" by Placebo
During an encore at a Placebo concert I attended they covered "Where is my Mind?" by Pixies. I wish I had a recording of that; it was so amazing.


Track 10 - "156" by Mew
Even though they are from Denmark, Mew used to play a lot of shows in the Bay Area. If you are not familiar with them then I have done you a great service because they are fantastic.


Track 11 - "Let It Rain" by Tilly and the Wall
A beautiful song from Tilly and the Wall about passion turning into love.

Track 12 - "I Guess It's Gonna Rain Today" by Sondre Lerche
Songs about rain are frequently songs about getting dumped... I suppose if you are already sad then rain is kind of adding insult to injury.

Track 13 - "Kill the Messenger" by Jack's Mannequin
Jack's Mannequin is the project Andrew McMahon started while Something Corporate was on hiatus. Both bands have his signature piano-rock(piano-emo) style.

Track 14 - "The Rain" by Akon
I like the quiet piano and storm sounds that comprise the musical accompaniment on this song.

Track 15 - "I Can't Stand the Rain" by The Commitments
I thought about including the Tina Turner version of this song but the truth is I just like the version from the movie "The Commitments" way more.

Track 16 - "Thistle & Weeds" by Mumford & Sons
These guys really need a second album. No pressure.

Track 17 - "The Rain" by The Swell Season
Speaking of "The Commitments", Glen Hansard(singer/songwriter behind The Frames and 1/2 of The Swell Season) was in that movie. He has such a lovely voice.

Track 18 - "Raincoat Song" by The Decemberists
I had such high hopes for "The Hazards of Love" based on the collection of singles and b-sides leading up to its release but I was quite disappointed.

Track 19 - "Somebody Loved" by The Weepies
Another very cute song from The Weepies. "You turned me into somebody loved."


Track 20 - "re:Stacks" by Bon Iver
I don't want to over-saturate you all with Bon Iver but, like Nate Ruess's two projects, they are too good to not include in a LOT of mixes.


As always, thank you for reading my ramblings! Feel free to comment as I will reply to all comments. Hit me up for a copy of the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment