Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Playing Games



This month’s mix is about the games we all play in relationships… and the ones we play with dice, cards and pewter or wood pieces.



This month is the anniversary of this blog and to commemorate that fact I have a couple surprises. I have decided to make the whole affair a little more professional by drawing art for each mix starting this month. The mixes you receive from me will have labels and liner notes. Also I would love to hear from some of you wonderful people so if you leave me a comment telling me your favorite song by your favorite artist then you will be eligible to be randomly selected as the lucky person who will receive a copy of every mix I have made thus far with hand-drawn illustrations for each album. I know that question is a little loaded and our favorites change all the time, but give it a shot.

Track 1 – “You Give Love a Bad Name” by Bon Jovi
I decided to do Barney Stinson proud by starting the mix with this fun track. For a long time I resented Bon Jovi because for the brief period that I watched MTV I had to watch the video for “It’s My Life” approximately eight times a day. This song and “Living on a Prayer” make up for that atrocious one though.


Track 2 – “Jilted Lovers” by The Naked and Famous
This is one of the songs that prompted me to make this mix. The Naked and Famous have a very original style blending thrashing guitars with subtle, sweet vocals.

Track 3 – “Quit Playing Games(With My Heart)” by Backstreet Boys
When we were originally brainstorming for this month’s song selection Rachael immediately demanded that this song be included. I gotta say, BSB really nailed this theme.


Track 4 – “Skip the Charades” by Cold War Kids
This song really encompasses what I wanted to say with this collection of songs. It also happens to be one of my favorite songs by Cold War Kids.


Track 5 – “Sunshine” by Mos Def
Something about the sampling on this song and the clever, sharp lyrics really makes me love it.

Track 6 – “Try Honesty” by Billy Talent
This was the first song I ever heard from Billy Talent and it completely won me over. Once again I would like to thank my good friend, Robert for introducing me to this band. Their youthful energy and fantastic guitars are one of a kind.
Video

Track 7 – “Games for Days” by Julian Plenti
Julian Plenti is the solo project of Interpol’s Paul Banks. You might have already been able to hear that in his music. I feel like Paul Banks deserves to be on that list with Jack White, Ben Gibbard and Nate Ruess of artists that can do no wrong.


Track 8 – “Helena Beat” by Foster the People
Foster the People released their very first single, “Pumped Up Kicks” last year and ever since I have been patiently waiting for a full length album from this staggering band. So far they only have an EP but it is pure gold.


Track 9 –“Rococo” by Arcade Fire
This song is one of my favorites from Arcade Fire’s Grammy Winning* album, “The Suburbs”.
*Usually I don’t care about the Grammy’s at all because they are so frequently wrong, but it was so great to see Arcade Fire get the recognition they deserve.


Track 10 – “To Kingdom Come” by Passion Pit
I am tingling with anticipation for Passion Pit’s sophomore effort. They are one of those bands where the biggest problem is they don’t have enough music for me to love.


Track 11 – “My Slumbering Heart” by Rilo Kiley
Rilo Kiley was formed by two child stars: Jenny Lewis and Blake Sennett (you might remember Blake as “Joey the Rat” in Boy Meets World. I know I do). They really paved the foundation of today’s great indie rock.

Track 12 – “Bad Priestess” by The Mountain Goats
Rachael texted me in the middle of the night when she realized how perfect this song would be on this mix. I very much agree with her and am growing quite fond of this cute little track.

Track 13 – “Feel It in My Bones” by Tiesto featuring Tegan and Sara
Tiesto is a great DJ that I had the good fortune of seeing at Coachella the one year I went. Also it never hurts to have Tegan and Sara sing the vocals on your song.


Track 14 – “Every Breath You Take” by The Police
My friend Wesley and I were having a discussion the other day about how lucky the other two members of The Police were to have Sting in their band. Sting is the coolest.


Track 15 – “Rise” by Saves the Day
I grew up on Saves the Day in this pretty spectacular way. They have always been exactly what I needed them to be. When I was a freshman in high school and needed them to be a pop-punk band they obliged and as my taste in music matured (shhhh. It did!) so did they. There are so many memories tied to Saves the Day songs in my mind.

Track 16 – “If I Ever Feel Better” by Phoenix
Listening to older Phoenix songs is a jarring experience for me now because the lyrics aren’t silly nonsense. I forgot that their songs used to make sense.


Track 17 – “Somebody Told Me” by The Killers
Brandon Flowers has almost completely undone the work he did making The Killers’ first album, “Hot Fuss” one of the most perfect debut albums from a band. Every subsequent release from them has been increasingly disappointing.


Track 18 – “I’ll Try Anything Once” by The Strokes
This alternate version of “You Only Live Once” exceeds the original in my opinion. I love the somber tone of it and the subtle lyrical changes.

Track 19 – “Blame Game” by Kanye West featuring John Legend
This song hits a lot of my musical weaknesses. Cello and Piano laid over Aphex Twin’s electronic beats and Kanye’s usual clever wit.

I hope that you all have enjoyed this past year of mixes as much as I have enjoyed making them. I have no intention of stopping anytime soon!

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the album art for this! Great drawing :)
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!

    Favorite song, but a favorite artist... this is hard. But since I've had California on my mind lately, I've been listening to a lot of Incubus. My favorite Incubus song has to be: Here In My Room

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nikki and Lea! Also good choice, Lea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaand the best video goes to Passion Pit for this round. Though that Backstreet Boys one is pret-ty entertaining. And the INTENSITY of Sting... that face is like stone as he tosses his hair and plays the stand up.
    Seriously though, another fantastic mix, no surprise there, from a fantastic Bruuuthaarrrrr.

    Did you know I hadn't ever SEEN some of these artists before you posted their video (The Arcade Fire, Cold War Kids, The Killers, The Police, etc...). None of them looked as I expected.

    Aside from the electronic feeling, that song that Tegan and Sara sing on sounds kinda like something they would write....

    I don't think I should be entered into the drawing as I'm going to demand the prize no matter what but my favorite all time song AT THIS VERY MOMENT is Heathers covering Tegan and Sara's song Nineteen or Strange Vine by Delta Spirit or Weekend in Western Illinois by The Mountain Goats.
    -Love,
    Sissles

    ReplyDelete
  5. JEFF!! I am always blown away by your musical taste :) Glad to see you have a blog up, now I can access it any time I feel the urge, snail mail is so difficult to keep up with nowadays. (I seriously have about 5 playlists spread across two computers with tons of rando music I have been collecting for you, but I'm always failing to buy blank CD's.) But onto more current matters - Right now I would have to say some of my favorite songs have to be anything by Bon Iver, but specifically Das Kapital's Remix of Skinny Love. Really mellow catchy tune that I feel does the original justice. Thats's my nomination and I'm sticking to it!

    -Allison

    PS I decided I can't choose just one, I have a couple runners up...

    1. Washed out - New Theory (RAC Remix) (Can't stop listening to this one, sooooo freaking good, please please please listen to it)
    2. Emancipator - Lionheart (anything by emancipator, really.)
    3. bonobo - Kiara (full version with the violin in the opening. OMG soooooo beautiful)
    4. Ellie Goulding - the Wolves (another bon iver remix, completely a capella)
    5. the glitch mob - between two points (ft. Swan) - really good mellow dubby tune.

    oh my, I could go on forever hahah But yea, when you have the time please check out those songs, I'm diggin the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! And if you're into hip hop, my favorite summer tune of the moment has to be Marion Sunshine by Blue Scholars. Soooo good, I need to just make you a mix, I'm adding songs to the copious playlists as we speak (metaphorically o course).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Allison! That means a lot. I will be sure to check out those songs (of which the only one I've heard of is Bon Iver who I also love).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm making you and Rach mixes, def trying to sort through all the music I've loaded onto your playlists and narrow it down so it's not just a blob of crazy sounds haha, what's your address so I can send it out? Sorry if it all sounds kinda similar haha have you heard the classic 4-chord song? Some british comedy trio mashes up all these hit pop songs into an epic 4-chord song, I forget the name specifically but I'm sure it's up on youtube, but it basically proves how all pop songs sound the same...

    PS - I don't have any of Bon Iver's new stuff but I did see him interviewed and play a new song on the Colbert Report last night. Itwas good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My address:
    21079 White Fir Court
    Cupertino, CA 95014

    I haven't heard that 4-chord mashup but I will definitely check it out. I bet there's a lot of Green Day and Coldplay in there.

    I can't wait to hear what you've got for me. Also we should totally hang out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure I have the words to express how pumped I was when Bon Jovi started blasting through my speakers. Having already read your intro requesting comments, I wasn't sure anything could get better than that. How wrong I was!

    I think the winner of my vote, and newfound musical object of my affection, is Rilo Kiley. I've heard folks talk about them (Notably @shelbster,) but hadn't heard any of their music. Love it! If I only get to hear one band from this mix for the rest of my life, it would totally be Bon Jovi. But if I got two, it'd be Jovi and Kiley!!

    Looking forward to next month!

    -Neal

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, amazing work as always, Jeff. You never cease to amaze me with your artistic talent and your ability to pick awesome songs. The prize is kind of mouth watering too...

    Favorite song by my favorite artist? That's a different questions than just favorite song...very different. Historically, my favorite song has always been 'Only in Dreams' by Weezer, but they're far from my favorite artist...

    When I was a kid, I was all about The Beatles. Then I went to middle school, and my best friend was into ska, so The Mighty Mighty Bosstones became my life. Then I dedicated several years to finding every bootleg live concert by The Dave Matthews Band, then another few to exploring everything that Phish has ever done.

    Somewhere along the line, I ended up settling on Pink Floyd as my all time favorite band. There's something about them that just makes listing to anyone else afterward pale in comparison. They're so lush, so perfect, so unbelievably creative in how they craft thought and idea into sound.

    I spend 80% of my time listening to modern music, but then I go back and listen to them, and Led Zeppelin, and the true greats and wonder if we'll ever get another band like THAT again.

    My favorite song by them? Tempted to say Comfortably Numb because it's got the best guitar solo of all time, and I'm tempted to say Wish You Were Here because it's helped me through some times. Then there's Echoes, perhaps the best blend of Floyd's epic, orchestral period with their psychedelic stuff.

    In the end, though, I'll say it's Learning to Fly. It was David Gilmour's song about taking the band over after Waters' departure, and it's the best song ever written about getting the most out of life, even in difficult periods of change and transition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and if you want to know my favorite song by my favorite artist,
    I'm going to surprise everyone by no going all country on you:

    Favorite song has to be "hallelujah." if I happen to be browsing an
    artist's work and see that they've recorded a rendition of it, I'll
    grab it. No question.

    Leonard Cohen will always be at the top of that list, of course. But
    I'm really digging the version JT recorded for the Hope for Haiti
    benefit.

    ... 'course, Willie Nelson has a nice one, too!

    :-) -Neal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Chas and Neal!

    @Chas: Pink Floyd are - in fact - awesome

    @Neal: You left off my favorite version of Hallelujah! Jeff Buckley (it's on the covers mix that i still have to burn for you)

    ReplyDelete
  14. the four-chord mashup is by an australian group called axis of awesome. it's quite good.

    i don't know that it's my absolute, all-time favorite song and artist, but the first one to come to mind is "if i ever leave this world alive" by flogging molly. i also really love "at my most beautiful" by rem...and a solely instrumental version of "honeysuckle rose" that doesn't exist in recording, but was an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME example of how great jazz musicians are, and all it takes is one in the group to know a song for everyone to be able to play it, and...

    ...rachael told me the contest is still going on, and since i've loved all your mixes, absolutely i want to enter (and win!). =)

    ReplyDelete